Saturday, May 14, 2011

"We only part to meet again."

I recently did an updated post, but it appears that it's not showing up now. I'm not quite sure how they just disappear, but I'll repost the entry I posted on my other blog.


This morning, at about 5am, I dropped my friends from Ecuador off at the airport in Norfolk, VA. I had some wonderful discussions with Maria and Liz on the drive up. Piece by piece, Liz, my co-pilot,  has told me a lot of her life story, which I greatly appreciate and value. Over the journey, everyone in the van eventually fell asleep. Liz even fell asleep with my GPS in her hands haha.

At the airport, Stephanie and I helped some of them shove their stuff into bags. They thought they were going to have to leave so much behind, but we just crammed their belongings in so tightly that we joked that their bags would explode (and I hope they don't). After they all checked in, they realized their flights were boarding and they hadn't even been through security. We parted ways in a rush. But, it was a very difficult "bye" (please note that I won't say "goodbye," because it's too permanent). But, Edda hugged me first and held on for a long time. She started to cry, and I tried to pull away. She held on longer. So I hugged back, tightly. It's so nice when you hug someone and you let go first, and they continue to hold on. I almost choked up and would have cried had it not been 5am (and I hadn't slept yet). Then, I went through and hugged each person; Liz, Maria, Victor, Fernanda, and Sandra. I hugged each of them tightly and told them how thankful I am for them, and that they'll be missed. As they walked away, I told them I love them, because I do. I love each of them, and have only known them a short, short time. I formed stronger connections with a select few, which is to be expected when we were all hanging out in a group of 10ish. As much as I'd love to have a strong connection with everyone, group settings aren't conducive to such things. But love, it is such a powerful, and painful feeling. It's terrifying not knowing when I'm going to see them again. It's terrifying knowing I can help create such a strong bond with people that live on a different continent. I knew all along they were leaving, and I continued to be attached. I had to remind myself that it's okay to love people who will leave. It's okay to enjoy my experiences with them though they will be finite. It's okay to be close to people, and to value that connection. I'm using this example to remind myself that I am able to connect with a variety of people, and this connection doesn't have to span a lifetime (though it'd be great if it did) to be of value in my life. I've learned a lot from these friends. I can value and appreciate the time that we did have, and the experiences that we shared. I can look back and smile and know that their trip to the U.S. was better because I was a part of it. And that, with time, will be such a good feeling... It's still so hard though. I've never been good at parting ways with people. But I'm learning.

Today, my heart is heavy, and it's difficult to move. I'm trying to embrace the wonderful times we've had together. Right now, I can't help but be reminded that the odds of me seeing any of those people ever again will drastically dwindle with time, and that kills me. I want so badly to take a trip to Ecuador.

"We only part to meet again." John Gay

No comments:

Post a Comment