Monday, January 17, 2011

We are all Earthlings.

I'm disgusted. Appalled. Reminded why I am angry with humankind and our ignorance.
I just watched the documentary, Earthlings (2007).
Narrated by Joaquin Phoenix, this documentary discusses humankind's blatant disrespect for animals. From puppy mills,  CAFO's, slaughterhouses, and medical laboratories, this movie shows the horrors of how we treat animals and look the other way. The amount of suffering is unfathomable and disgusting. I gagged after viewing several scenes, and occasionally had to veer my concentration away from the screen. Some scenes were just too intense, too painful to watch.
Much of this documentary was captured by hidden cameras. It showed animals being thrown around, tortured, having their throats slit, and being hung until they died. You can see animals being driven crazy, being starved, and being housed in cages that are much too small for them. It's heartbreaking, to say the least.
The idea that the filmmakers constantly return to is that we are all earthlings. We all deserve to exist, with minimal pain, on this planet. Humans are not superior or the only sentient beings on earth. Numerous animals have their own form (and degree) of intelligence and ability to feel pain. We shouldn't capitalize on their pain to make our lives more comfortable.
I would also like to recognize that small, family-owned and organic farms are trying to fight against the system of animal cruelty. The big corporations, seeking monetary profit over all other things, seem to be the biggest culprit to the animal cruelty. Maybe the answer is either vegetarianism or to buy locally and figure out where your food comes from.
Be aware of the types of suffering you are inflicting indirectly, because of the decisions and lifestyles you choose.

1 comment:

  1. What is a CAFO?

    And it's difficult for me to eat meat: steak, burgers, etc because of the fact that I am eating an ANIMAL. In high school I watched a video about how when you eat the "meaty" part of a chicken, you're eating it's muscle. I hate eatig lobster, because they're put ALIVE into boiling water.

    I need to eat to be alive, but life is life, whether it's an anmal or plant. I am grateful that whatever I'm eating has given it's life to provide for me.

    Oh and I still eat chicken, cuz I hate chickens.

    ReplyDelete