Thursday, January 13, 2011

Population (Crash).

The population keeps growing, and growing, and growing.
I fear we've over-exceeded our carrying capacity. We're draining our non-renewable resources at an exponential rate. Humans are transforming the landscape and poisoning our water, air, and soil. And we just keep reproducing.....
The (late 18th and) 19th century thinker, Thomas Malthus, predicted a population crash but it seems like technological advances postponed any large scale crashes.
I'm not going to suggest ways to limit or slow our population growth (at least in this post), but I do think we need to be aware of the force and impact humanity has on the planet. We are not living with infinite resources. We are not living in infinite space. We are finite creatures living in finitie spaces with finite amounts of stuff available to us.
We are living beyond our means. Recognize.
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/01/seven-billion/kunzig-text

1 comment:

  1. Remember how you never told me about this blog site until like 3 months later? Well, I'm making my first appearance. It looks nice. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete