Wednesday, February 16, 2011

What's The Truth?

"Truth exists. Only lies are invented." Georges Braque

I've had several discussions with several different types of people about what truth really is. Groups all across the board like Republicans, Liberals, Christians, Buddhists, Atheists, Therapists, Writers, and Professors all believe they know and possess the truth (or at least some aspect of truth), but how can all of them be right? How can groups that harbor beliefs that are polar opposites still see their own "truth" as supreme, ultimate, "the right way"? It seems like believing your own truth takes a great deal of faith, and faith does not equal truth. Therefore, can we ever really know what the truth is?

And on a side note: I'm not even sure we can find truth because we are constantly bombarded by propaganda and marketing strategies that force us to think a certain way. The lives that many of us live are so convoluted and caught up in materialistic nonsense that we've taken other people's truths as our own.
I'm constantly searching for my truth. I'd encourage you to do the same.

3 comments:

  1. A very wise Socrates said:
    "As for me, all I know is that I know nothing"

    I think in the end, we don't know anything. We don't know truth, we don't really know lies (after all that base of every lie is a truth, even if it's hidden). I kind of like this idea. I feel like I'm floating in the abyss of mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe simply because it has been handed down for many generations. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is written in Holy Scriptures. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of Teachers, elders or wise men. Believe only after careful observation and analysis, when you find that it agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all. Then accept it and live up to it."

    Buddha

    ReplyDelete