Saturday, October 23, 2010

My Food.

I need to become a vegetarian.
I think after my AmeriCORPS year, I'll transform my diet. I heard word when I moved down to the bayou that it's damn near impossible to become a vegetarian-- the resources aren't available in this area. Everyone eats meat and seafood. And, traveling is also very difficult (I live in a very small town with no car). So, I dont think this year is a year I can begin my new diet. But, I can, as often as possible, at least purchase local food, shop at stores like WholeFoods, and be informed about where my food is coming from.
I can also use this next year to mentally prepare for the diet change; so much of my diet is currently made up of fastfood and cheap freezer meals. Living on a limited budget, with a busy schedule promotes poor eating habits. I also really love the taste of chicken and turkey. It'll be a difficult transition, without a doubt. But I think I can learn to live more sustainably.

And, if watching Food Inc wasnt motivation enough to become a vegetarian, the thought that every animal I consume feels pain, probably is. Each time I eat meat or seafood, I try to be mindful that each animal died in order for me to consume it. It hurt, it felt pain, because of a decision I made.

I think I can do it.....

"Get involved"

No comments:

Post a Comment